AREA: 83,90 km² ALTITUDE ABOVE SEA LEVEL: 450 metres AVERAGE ANNUAL RAINFALL: 550 l/m²
AVERAGE ANNUAL TEMPERATURE: 15 ºC POPULATION CENSUS 1994: 3.205
HISTORY AND LANDSCAPE
The municipal district of Sierra de Yeguas is situated on the northwest border of the Antequera region, on the limits of the province of Malaga with Seville. This makes its landscape a frontier between the northern area of Antequera and the Seville countryside, with the Sierra de los Caballos (748 m.) between them. This sierra, although having the roughest relief in the district is not excessively abrupt, and is mainly covered in thickets and small circles of old holm-oaks which used to cover it entirely. There is also an important area of pine reforestation. Although this sierra is not very high, it is visible from outside the municipality due to the surrounding relief being shorter.
Next to the Sierra de los Caballos, another outstanding feature of this municipalitys landscape are the Plains of Navahermosa, which constitute an important agricultural plain in a former flooded area similar to the old Laguna de Herrera (today missing), to the north of the Antequera municipality. The interest in the area as an Agricultural Landscape has earned it a special protection from the Protection Plan of the Physical Environment from the province of Malaga. In the undulating reliefs which complete this municipalitys landscape, the vegetation, mainly corresponds with olive groves and some areas of almonds and vines.
The municipal district of Sierra de Yeguas was inhabited in at least the neolithical era, as various objects of polished stone found in the area testify. There have also been discoveries of Roman remains, among which are the baths, and a necropolis, as well as ceramics, columns, and coins.
It seems that during the Antequera conquest, the prince D. Fernando stayed the night on the limits of the Yeguas river. In 1549, the village belonged to the jurisdiction of Estepa. The marquis of Estepas arms are in the parish church.
Until 1847, religiously and for its connections with the marquis, the village belonged to the vicarage "verenullius", a curious institution which made it depend on the Vatican in Rome. On the civil side, it belonged to the province of Sevilla until the 17th century.
Places to Visit
The parish church of the Immaculate Conception's facade conserves a stone front crowned with an open pediment. The choir and vestibule are especially interesting, and the remains of a chapel with a curious base, probably built in the 18th century, as well as the two-bodied tower finished off with a belfry and pyramidal capital decorated with glassed reddish tiles.
There are an abundance of archaeological sites found in the municipal district, such as the Roman villas in the Peñuela and Herriza estates and also the Roman baths of the Haza de Estepa.
The town itself is interesting with its whitewashed houses and the abundance of railed doors and windows.
The most developed crafts, although they are not commercial, are shoe making, embroidery, and artistic locks.
The two main samples of the local gastronomy are the porra campera and gazpacho.
You must also try the partridge, rabbit, and mushrooms. Among the pastries there is roly poly, fairy cakes, and meringues.
FESTIVITIES AND TRADITIONS
The main festivities of the town are celebrated from the 24th to the 26th of August. The pilgrimage of San Idisro is celebrated on the 15th of May with the participation of carriages and horsemen dressed with the typical Andalusian dress. On the festivity of the Inmaculada, on the 8th of December, there is a procession of the virgins image. At Easter they celebrate Good Friday with a choir, and "Proclamation of Jesus of Nazareth", with the kissing of the Virgins hands.
Finally, the popular folklore of the municipality are the "serranas de sierra de yeguas".